by Kimberleigh Gardener
on February 13, 2017
The growing move to invest in memories rather than things suit the following lodges, who leave their impression long after you’ve unpacked your suitcase. Whichever way you choose to express your love, booking a trip to one of these ten lodges is a good place to start…
1 . Ngorongoro Crater Lodge, TanzaniaIf you think your love could fill a swimming pool, then try the Ngorongoro Crater. As the oldest intact caldera left in the world, the Ngorongoro Crater is a must-see big 5 safari destination that is also densely populated with other wildlife due to the nutrient-rich crater floor. There is something about World Heritage Sites that make you feel small, but also make you realise what is most important in life: relationships with those whom you love.
2. Lion Sands Ivory Lodge, South AfricaEscape the bustle of daily life to reconnect with your partner at the Lion Sands Ivory Lodge. Built to compliment nature, the lodge indulges the senses in ambient lighting and tactile furnishings. Make a wish while searching for shooting stars in one of the secluded luxury tree houses or experience the workings of Mother Nature, as herds of animals frequent the banks of the Sabie River.
3. Londolozi Private Granite Suites, South AfricaFrom the bath on the private deck outside your exclusive suite, witness the grazing of elephant herds and the meandering of the Sand River. One of the most premium lodges in the Kruger National Park, the Londolozi Private Granite suites has elegant decor that mirrors the granite rocks surrounding the lodge. The suites can be booked separately, which is great for honeymooning couples.
4. Tintswalo Atlantic, Cape TownWhat better way to evoke emotions of love and happiness than the rich hues of an African sunset? At the base of Chapman’s Peak rests the Tintswalo Atlantic, which brims with magnificence in blue and white tones. Sip champagne and watch the waves of the icy Atlantic Ocean glittered with sunlight or take a short trip into the nearby town of Hout Bay for local markets and seal spotting in the harbour.
5. La Residence, FranschhoekThere is more than one way to tell someone that you love them and in the heart of the Winelands, La Residence should be your destination of choice. Opulence and grandeur radiate from the decor which is only heightened by the golden sunsets and private poolside gazebos. Ideal for couples who want a choice of activities like hiking in the nearby mountains, visiting galleries and museums, or indulging in wine tasting.
6. Azura Bazaruto, MozambiqueLike Aphrodite who was born from the sea, so too will your love. Imagine this: warm waters lapping the shores of untouched beaches where a gourmet chef has prepared a dinner for you and the love of your life. Whether you want to sip cocktails alongside the pool or embark on a snorkelling or diving expedition, the Azura Bazaruto has a little something for every couple.
7. Chongwe River Camp, ZambiaActions speak louder than words, that is why the Chongwe River Camp is the ultimate safari destination for adventurous couples. Canoe between pods of hippos and lurking crocodiles, or go fishing in the Lower Zambezi River. If you’re in the mood to relax, watch elephant herds stroll past your semi-tented suite or witness the congregation of wildlife around the river from your front veranda.
8. Sanctuary Chief’s Camp, BotswanaIf you’ve forgotten to take the time to show your partner gratitude, then the Sanctuary Chief’s Camp provides the perfect thank you note. Set in a highly populated wildlife area, the daily game drives guarantee a predator sighting or venture out and explore the Delta’s waterways on a mokoro to see wildlife from a new perspective. Or show thankfulness with a gift of one of many treatments offered at the on-site spa.
9. Royal Chundu Island Lodge, ZambiaIf a sunset boat cruise along the Zambezi river with your partner doesn’t help you to express your love then we’re not sure what will. Nestled between ancient Jackalberry trees, the Royal Chundu Island Lodge is situated on the private island of Katombora. Since it is one of the more exclusive lodges in the Royal Chundu family, the four villas exude privacy and luxury.
10. Mowani Mountain Camp, NamibiaNot sure what gift to get your partner? Well, how about a holiday at the Mowani Mountain Camp? The arid Damaraland opens in front of you while the private suites are hidden between large boulders which offer both privacy and an other-worldly feeling. The suites are constructed to blend into the desert landscape giving you the sense that you’re the last couple on earth.
Take the quiz to find the perfect romantic lodge for you…