Choosing Okavango Delta safari lodges and camps for your Botswana safari can seem like a mammoth task. With a baffling array of wildlife, birdlife, and landscapes, Botswana is among Africa's most exclusive and remote safari destinations. One of its crown jewels is the Okavango Delta, the world's largest inland delta and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. This remoteness can make it tricky to decide on the best accommodation options as they can be located far from one another, can only be reached by boat or air, and you have so many excellent ones to choose from. But don't fear when Rhino Africa is near! As the World's Leading Safari Company, it's our business to know everything about the African continent's best safari destinations. So, here are our top Okavango Delta safari lodges and camps to get you dreaming about your Botswana safari...
Best Okavango Delta Safari Lodges: Botswana Beckons
We use first-hand knowledge and African expertise to create a tailored itinerary according to your wish list. Mokoro safari? Check. Champagne breakfast on an island? Check. Wellness spa? Check! Whatever you want to do and see, we know just the place! So, to inspire your Botswana holiday, here are our top 10 Okavango Delta safari lodges for 2023.
1. Little Mombo Camp
Accommodation type: three luxury tents
Little Mombo Camp is an intimate and luxurious safari camp on Chief's Island in the Okavango Delta. With just four sprawling suites shaded by ancient jackalberry and sausage trees, it overlooks the legendary Mombo Concession, known as the "Place of Plenty".
You feel like royalty at the camp, however, the wildlife experience is humbling. Herds of elephants pass through the camp on their ancient foray paths. And when out on safari, you'll seek out the resident rhino, lion, leopard, buffalo, hyena, wild dog, cheetah, giraffe, zebra and the full range of antelope and general plains game.
Little Mombo has honeymoon written all over it because it's one of the most romantic Okavango Delta safari lodges out there. The suites are far apart for the utmost privacy, complete with outdoor showers and shaded day-bed swings. It's also ideal for a celebration with your close friends and family.
What Makes Little Mombo Special?
- Very intimate and private, with only three luxury tents
- Plenty to do, from watching animals in the nearby hide to taking to the skies in a helicopter
- Raised wooden walkway and deck with boma to admire the wildlife passing by
- Located in the wildlife-rich Moremi Game Reserve
A romantic getaway
2. Duba Plains Camp
Accommodation type: five suites
Intimate and very remote, Duba Plains Camp has just five suites and is so far into the Okavango Delta that you can only get there by light aircraft.
This ultra-luxury safari camp features classic Delta architecture with huge tented suites on elevated decks beneath a dense canopy of trees. Your view from everywhere and in every direction is of the wide open plains and seasonal delta channels. Despite all this lavish luxury, you're actually in a wildlife zone made famous by the National Geography documentary "Relentless Enemies", about feuding lion and buffalo filmed here.
Duba Plains is a great family camp with dedicated safari activities for children. But with just five suites, it's not exactly going to be noisy, so couples and honeymooners alike will enjoy the exceptional game viewing in a peaceful setting.
What Makes Duba Plains Special?
- Remote, intimate luxury safari camp in northern Okavango Delta
- Child-friendly safari activities to keep little ones busy
- Full range of activities, including day and night game drives and water safaris
- Exceptional game viewing with lion, buffalo, elephant, hippo, hyena, giraffe and many species of plains game
Families or small groups of friends
3. Linyanti Bush Camp
Accommodation type: six luxury tents
Linyanti Bush Camp, located between the Okavango Delta and Chobe, is surrounded by the wildlife-dense Linyanti Concession.
With a maximum of 12 guests at a time, you can enjoy personal attention and the utmost in safari luxury. But this is not the all-singing, all-dancing bells-and-whistles type of safari lodge; more the light-footed, pared-down authentic safari camp in its ultra-remote, uber-pristine position.
With its focus on safari activities and game viewing, Linyanti Bush Camp is for the dedicated safari enthusiast who wants to get out there and experience Africa. Children are welcome, but they must be seven years or older for safety reasons.
What Makes Linyanti Bush Camp Special?
- Intimate safari camp in a remote location in the Linyanti Wetlands
- Close to Chobe National Park
- Full range of safari activities, including game drives, boating, helicopter and walking safaris
- Fantastic game viewing with elephants, predators, plains game and rarer species like sable, roan, red lechwe, sitatunga and wild dog
Safari enthusiasts and purists
4. Nxabega Okavango Tented Camp
Accommodation type: nine tented suites
With classic tented suites lavishly brushed with contemporary style, Nxabega Okavango Tented Camp is a small, relaxed and thoroughly luxurious safari camp. Situated in its own private concession in the northern reaches of the Okavango Delta, your safari experience is guaranteed to be life-changing.
Shaded by giant ebony trees on the edge of a lagoon, your palatial suite celebrates its view of the Delta from the extensive verandah, bedroom and even your bathroom. Yet this magnificence pales next to the safari experience. Game drives, mokoro water adventures, walking safaris, helicopter flights as well as community and eco-tours provide a 360-degree African safari experience.
A great all-rounder, Nxabega Tented Camp is ideal for everyone from honeymooners and couples to small groups and families. Children of all ages are welcome and catered for with dedicated children's safari activities, special meals, and childminders.
What Makes Nxabega Okavango Tented Camp Special?
- Small, luxury safari camp in a private concession within the Okavango Delta
- Full range of safari activities (seasonal), from game drives, bushwalks, water-based safaris, and even admiring the wild from a helicopter
- Amazing Big 5 wildlife safaris and birding with 450+ species on record
- Expert guides and trackers give you unique insight into the bush
Anyone from couples to families and small groups of friends
5. Sanctuary Chief's Camp
Accommodation Type: ten bush pavilions and one Geoffrey Kent Suite
Sanctuary Chief's Camp is an elegant timber and thatch construction under a picturesque jackalberry grove overlooking the game-rich Moremi Game Reserve.
Remote? Check. Luxurious? Check. Sensational game viewing experiences? Check, check, check! Add deep philanthropic roots and dedication to conservation, and you get a first-class safari experience with the ultimate in luxury.
Sanctuary Chief's Camp is somewhere you want to share with that special person in your life. However, the exclusive intimacy of the camp also lends itself well to small group celebrations. Children aged six and up are well catered for, making Sanctuary Chief's Camp a great family retreat as well.
What Makes Sanctuary Chief's Camp Special?
- A luxury safari lodge with palatial suites, exquisite design and extensive facilities and amenities
- Exceptional game viewing in the famous Mombo Concession of the Okavango Delta
- Full range of safari activities, including game drives, mokoro delta excursions (seasonal), helicopter flights and cultural activities
- Rated as one of the top safari camps in Botswana by Condé Nast and Travel & Leisure
Couples or small groups
6. Jao Camp
Accommodation Type: two villas and five suites
Located within its own private concession, Jao Camp borders the Moremi Game Reserve inside the Okavango Delta. You can't really get more private, remote or luxurious than this. Contemporary style and first-class amenities make Jao Camp stand out as something special. Your suite has a plunge pool built into the enormous verandah overlooking the water and floodplains.
Game viewing in this northern section of the Delta is extraordinary, with all species amply represented, from elephant and lion to mongoose and meerkat. Activities include walks, day and night game drives, mokoro safaris, motorboat game viewing, sleepouts, fishing, helicopter flights and an in-house museum.
Another fantastic all-rounder, Jao Camp caters for families with dedicated rangers, activities, meals and edu-tainment. Romantics will love the privacy and seclusion of the luxury suites, and small groups will enjoy the intimacy and personal attention.
What Makes Jao Camp Special?
- One of the most remote Okavango Delta safari lodges as it's set on a remote island for an exclusive experience
- Award-winning architecture and design with enormous villas and sprawling living areas
- Exceptional game viewing area in a private concession with all wildlife in great numbers
- Full range of activities including on land, water, in the air and from your private verandah
Couples or small groups
7. Sandibe Okavango Safari Lodge
Accommodation type: 12 luxury suites
Captivating contemporary design and luxury amenities and facilities make Sandibe Okavango Safari Lodge one of the top safari camps in the entire Okavango Delta region. Inside a private concession with exclusive traversing rights, you're not only in one of the most spectacular Delta safari lodges but also in one of the most spectacular Delta locations.
The full Delta wildlife experience is displayed at Sandibe, including day and night game drives, walking safaris, boating safaris, helicopter safaris and behind-the-scenes sustainability tours. Families and children are welcome, with family suites and young adventurers' safari activities.
Anywhere in the Delta is the scene of sun-drenched romance and excitement. Sandibe is no exception, so newlyweds and anniversary celebrators will love it here. Families and small groups will enjoy various safari activities that complement luxury living.
What Makes Sandibe Okavango Safari Lodge Special?
- Unique lodge designed to look like a giant pangolin at rest
- Customisable safari vehicles to suit your group and occasion
- Just 12 luxury suites, each with private plunge pool, fireplace, air conditioning and alfresco shower
- Plenty of safari activities on land, water and in the sky, including scenic helicopter transfers
- A full spectrum of African wildlife to discover, from as big as elephants to as small as elephant shrews
Romantic getaways and honeymoons
8. Xigera Safari Lodge
Accommodation type: 12 tented suites
A pioneering safari lodge in the heart of the Okavango Delta, Xigera Safari Lodge is as much a celebration of African art and design as it celebrates African wildlife and scenery. With 12 tented suites on stilted platforms spread out under a canopy of trees, the mood is as intimate and as private as you want it to be.
At Xigera Safari Lodge, with your deeply knowledgeable and committed safari guides, your Okavango Delta game viewing experience will be exceptional. Activities include game drives, mokoro trips, nature walks, helicopter flights, bush dinners, stargazing, story-telling, sleepouts in the baobab treehouse and art tours. With a family suite, children of 12 years and older are welcome.
Safari, wildlife and nature enthusiasts as well as photographers will love the variety of activities and experiences. This camp will appeal to couples looking for something a little out of the ordinary.
What Makes Xigera Safari Lodge Special?
- Impressive variety of additional safari activities, including helicopter safaris, photography safaris, and many more
- Extensive spa programme focused on wellness, mindfulness and holistic healing
- Intimate and personal with 12 tented suites individually decorated and furnished
- The opportunity to sleep under the stars in the Baobab Treehouse
Multi-generational safari travellers, wildlife photographers and couples
9. Zarafa Camp
Accommodation type: four suites
Another luxury safari lodge not precisely in the Delta but offering a Delta experience, Zarafa Camp is a classic Botswana safari camp with game viewing – particularly predators – at its heart and soul. In a huge private concession and right on Zibadianja Lagoon, the Savuti Channel source, Zarafa Camp links the Delta with the Linyanti waterways, and the game viewing here is legendary.
Built from reclaimed materials, Zarafa Camp is pure luxury and privacy. Every detail tells a story, from the Zanzibar doors to the copper baths and railway sleeper decking around your private suite.
Wildlife and photography enthusiasts, especially if you're interested in predators and large game, will enjoy the frequent sightings and flexible safari schedule. Zarafa Camp is a great family lodge with dedicated young explorers' safari activities and entertainment.
What Makes Zarafa Camp Special?
- Fantastic game viewing, especially predators and rare plains game
- Flexible safari activities including walks, hides, night drives and boating
- Private 130,000ha game reserve straddling Linyanti Wetlands and Okavango Delta and built on the edge of the Zibadianja Lagoon
- Enormous private suites and extensive eco-conscious and sustainability credentials
Wildlife and photography enthusiasts and families
10. Khwai River Lodge
Accommodation type: 14 luxury tents and one private suite
The Khwai River is a permanent channel in the Okavango Delta, and the Khwai River Lodge, a community-owned safari camp, has incredible views of the river and its Moremi Game Reserve backdrop.
Khwai River Lodge has large thatched suites with private verandahs and delightful semi-open bathrooms. Safari activities include day and night game drives with plenty of predator action, walking safaris, boating, birding, bush dinners, village visits and instructional stargazing.
Couples looking for romance in the African wild should head straight for the private suite with its own heated splash pool and private dining. The wildlife experience is consistently excellent, making Khwai River Lodge a good option for general game viewing and photography.
What Makes Khwai River Lodge Special?
- Community-owned luxury safari lodge on a permanent water source inside the Okavango Delta's Moremi Game Reserve
- Large, comfortable suites (and air-conditioned!) on elevated platforms with private verandahs
- Exceptional game viewing with lion, elephant, leopard, giraffe, buffalo and the entire cast of Delta plains game making frequent appearances
- A long list of activities including alfresco spa treatments, game drives, walking safaris, stargazing, bird-watching, and more
Who's it for?
Ready to book your Okavango Delta safari lodges?
Are you feeling inspired to visit the Okavango Delta for an exclusive, luxury African safari? Contact us today, and your dedicated Travel Expert will recommend the top Okavango Delta safari lodges and design the perfect Botswana safari itinerary for you.
Plan your African Safari todayLet's explore Africa
Opens our enquiry form
Based on 3000+ reviews