Choosing Okavango Delta safari lodges and camps for your Botswana safari can seem like a mammoth task. With a baffling array of wildlife, birdlife, and landscapes, Botswana is among Africa's most exclusive and wild safari destinations. One of its crown jewels is the Okavango Delta, the world's largest inland delta and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. This remoteness can make it tricky to decide on the best accommodation options as they can be located far from one another, can only be reached by boat or air, and you have so many excellent ones to choose from. As the world's most awarded safari company, it's our business to know everything about the African continent's best safari destinations.
We use first-hand knowledge and African expertise to create a tailored itinerary according to your wish list. Mokoro safari? Check. Champagne breakfast on an island? Check. Wellness spa? Check! Whatever you want to do and see, we know just the place! So, to inspire your Botswana holiday, here are our top Okavango Delta safari lodges for 2024.
1. Little Mombo Camp
Accommodation Type: Three luxury tents
Little Mombo Camp is an intimate and luxurious safari camp on Chief's Island in the Okavango Delta. With just four sprawling suites shaded by ancient jackalberry and sausage trees, it overlooks the legendary Mombo Concession, known as the "Place of Plenty".
You feel like royalty at the camp, however, the wildlife experience is humbling. Herds of elephants pass through the camp on their ancient foray paths. And when out on safari, you'll seek out the resident rhino, lion, leopard, buffalo, hyena, wild dog, cheetah, giraffe, zebra and the full range of antelope and general plains game.
Little Mombo has honeymoon written all over it because it's one of the most romantic Okavango Delta safari lodges out there. The suites are far apart for the utmost privacy, complete with outdoor showers and shaded day-bed swings. It's also ideal for a celebration with your close friends and family.
What Makes Little Mombo Special?
- Very private, with only three luxury tents
- Plenty to do, from watching animals in the nearby hide to taking to the skies in a helicopter
- Raised wooden walkway and deck with boma to admire the wildlife passing by
- Located in the wildlife-rich Moremi Game Reserve
Perfect for: A romantic getaway
2. Duba Plains Camp
Accommodation Type: Five suites
Duba Plains Camp is so far into the Okavango Delta that you can only get there by light aircraft. This ultra-luxury safari camp features classic Delta architecture with huge tented suites on elevated decks beneath a dense canopy of trees.
Your view from everywhere and in every direction is of the wide-open plains and seasonal delta channels. Despite all this lavish luxury, you're actually in a wildlife zone made famous by the National Geography documentary "Relentless Enemies", about feuding lion and buffalo filmed here.
Duba Plains is a great family camp with dedicated safari activities for children. But with just five suites, it's not exactly going to be noisy, so couples and honeymooners alike will enjoy the exceptional game viewing in a peaceful setting.
What Makes Duba Plains Special?
- Exclusive luxury safari camp in the northern Okavango Delta
- Child-friendly safari activities to keep little ones busy
- Full range of activities, including day and night game drives and water safaris
- Exceptional game viewing with lion, buffalo, elephant, hippo, hyena, giraffe and many species of plains game
Perfect for: Families or small groups of friends
3. Nxabega Okavango Tented Camp
Accommodation Type: Nine tented suites
With classic tented suites featuring a contemporary style, Nxabega Okavango Tented Camp is a small, relaxed and thoroughly luxurious safari camp. Situated in its own private concession in the northern reaches of the Okavango Delta, your safari experience is guaranteed to be life-changing.
Shaded by giant ebony trees on the edge of a lagoon, your palatial suite celebrates its view of the Delta from the extensive verandah, bedroom and even your bathroom. Yet this magnificence pales to the safari experience. Game drives, mokoro water adventures, walking safaris, helicopter flights, and community and eco-tours provide a 360-degree African safari experience.
A great all-rounder, Nxabega Tented Camp is ideal for everyone from honeymooners and couples to small groups and families. Children of all ages are welcome and catered for with dedicated children's safari activities, special meals, and childminders.
What Makes Nxabega Okavango Tented Camp Special?
- Small, luxury safari camp in a private concession within the Okavango Delta
- Full range of safari activities (seasonal), from game drives, walking safaris, water-based safaris, and even admiring the wild from a helicopter
- Amazing Big 5 wildlife safaris and birding with more than 450 species on record
- Expert guides and trackers give you a unique insight into the bush
Perfect for: Anyone from couples to families and small groups of friends
4. Sanctuary Chief's Camp
Accommodation Type: 10 bush pavilions and one Geoffrey Kent Suite
Sanctuary Chief's Camp is an elegant timber and thatch construction under a picturesque jackalberry grove overlooking the game-rich Moremi Game Reserve.
Remote? Check. Luxurious? Check. Sensational game viewing experiences? Check, check, check! Add deep philanthropic roots and dedication to conservation, and you get a first-class safari experience with the ultimate luxury.
Sanctuary Chief's Camp is somewhere you want to share with that special person in your life. However, the exclusive intimacy of the camp also lends itself well to small group celebrations. Children aged six and up are well catered for, making Sanctuary Chief's Camp a great family retreat as well.
What Makes Sanctuary Chief's Camp Special?
- A luxury safari lodge with palatial suites, exquisite design and extensive facilities and amenities
- Exceptional game viewing in the famous Mombo Concession of the Okavango Delta
- Full range of safari activities, including game drives, mokoro delta excursions (seasonal), helicopter flights and cultural activities
- Rated as one of the top safari camps in Botswana by Condé Nast and Travel & Leisure
Perfect for: Couples, families, or small groups
5. Jao Camp
Accommodation Type: Two villas and five suites
Located within its own private concession, Jao Camp borders the Moremi Game Reserve inside the Okavango Delta. Contemporary style and first-class amenities make Jao Camp stand out as something special. Your suite has a plunge pool built into the enormous verandah overlooking the water and floodplains.
Game viewing in this northern section of the Delta is extraordinary, with all species amply represented, from elephants and lions to mongooses and meerkats. Activities include walks, day and night game drives, mokoro safaris, motorboat game viewing, sleepouts, fishing, helicopter flights and an in-house museum.
Another fantastic all-rounder, Jao Camp caters for families with dedicated rangers, activities, meals and edu-tainment. Romantics will love the privacy and seclusion of the luxury suites, and small groups will enjoy the intimacy and personal attention.
What Makes Jao Camp Special?
- One of the most remote Okavango Delta safari lodges as it's set on an island
- Award-winning architecture and design with enormous villas and sprawling living areas
- Exceptional game viewing area in a private concession with all wildlife in great numbers
- Full range of activities including on land, water, in the air and from your private verandah
Perfect for: Couples, families, or small groups
6. Sandibe Okavango Safari Lodge
Accommodation Type: 12 luxury suites
Captivating contemporary design and luxury amenities and facilities make Sandibe Okavango Safari Lodge one of the top safari camps in the entire Okavango Delta region. Inside a private concession with exclusive traversing rights, you're not only in one of the most spectacular Delta safari lodges but also in one of the most spectacular Delta locations.
The full Delta wildlife experience is displayed at Sandibe, including day and night game drives, walking safaris, boating safaris, helicopter safaris and behind-the-scenes sustainability tours. Families and children are welcome, with family suites and young adventurers' safari activities.
Anywhere in the Delta is the scene of sun-drenched romance and excitement. Sandibe is no exception, so newlyweds and anniversary celebrators will love it here. Families and small groups will enjoy various safari activities that complement luxury living.
What Makes Sandibe Okavango Safari Lodge Special?
- Unique lodge designed to look like a giant pangolin at rest
- Customisable safari vehicles to suit your group and occasion
- Plenty of safari activities on land, water and in the sky, including scenic helicopter transfers
- A full spectrum of African wildlife to discover, from as big as elephants to as small as elephant shrews
Perfect for: Families, romantic getaways and honeymoons
7. Xigera Safari Lodge
Accommodation Type: 12 tented suites
A pioneering safari lodge in the heart of the Okavango Delta, Xigera Safari Lodge is as much a celebration of African art and design as it celebrates African wildlife and scenery. With 12 tented suites on stilted platforms spread out under a canopy of trees, it offers a very serene atmosphere.
At Xigera Safari Lodge, with your deeply knowledgeable and committed safari guides, your Okavango Delta game viewing experience will be exceptional. Activities include game drives, mokoro trips, nature walks, helicopter flights, bush dinners, stargazing, story-telling, sleepouts in the baobab treehouse and art tours. With a family suite, children of 12 years and older are welcome.
Safari, wildlife and nature enthusiasts, as well as photographers, will love the variety of activities and experiences. This camp will also appeal to couples looking for something a little out of the ordinary.
What Makes Xigera Safari Lodge Special?
- Impressive variety of additional safari activities, including helicopter safaris, photography safaris, and many more
- Extensive spa programme focused on wellness, mindfulness and holistic healing
- 12 tented suites individually decorated and furnished
- The opportunity to sleep under the stars in the Baobab Treehouse
Perfect for: Multi-generational safari travellers, wildlife photographers and couples
8. Zarafa Camp
Accommodation Type: Four suites
Another luxury safari lodge not precisely in the Delta but offering a Delta experience, Zarafa Camp is a classic Botswana safari camp with game viewing – particularly predators – at its heart and soul. In a huge private concession and right on Zibadianja Lagoon, the Savuti Channel source, Zarafa Camp, links the Delta with the Linyanti waterways, and the game viewing here is legendary.
Built from reclaimed materials, Zarafa Camp is pure luxury and privacy. Every detail tells a story, from the Zanzibar doors to the copper baths and railway sleeper decking around your private suite.
Wildlife and photography enthusiasts, especially if you're interested in predators and large game, will enjoy the frequent sightings and flexible safari schedule. Zarafa Camp is a great family lodge with dedicated young explorers' safari activities and entertainment.
What Makes Zarafa Camp Special?
- Fantastic game viewing, especially predators and rare plains game
- Flexible safari activities, including walks, hides, night drives and boating
- Private 130,000ha game reserve straddling Linyanti Wetlands and Okavango Delta and built on the edge of the Zibadianja Lagoon
- Enormous private suites and extensive eco-conscious and sustainability credentials
Perfect for: Wildlife and photography enthusiasts and families
9. Khwai River Lodge
Accommodation Type: 14 luxury tents and one private suite
The Khwai River is a permanent channel in the Okavango Delta, and the Khwai River Lodge, a community-owned safari camp, has incredible views of the river and its Moremi Game Reserve backdrop.
Khwai River Lodge has large thatched suites with private verandahs and delightful semi-open bathrooms. Safari activities include day and night game drives with plenty of predator action, walking safaris, boating, birding, bush dinners, village visits and instructional stargazing.
Couples looking for romance in the African wild should head straight for the private suite with its own heated splash pool and private dining. The wildlife experience is consistently excellent, making Khwai River Lodge a good option for general game viewing and photography.
What Makes Khwai River Lodge Special?
- Community-owned luxury safari lodge on a permanent water source inside the Okavango Delta's Moremi Game Reserve
- Large, comfortable suites (and air-conditioned!) on elevated platforms with private verandas
- Exceptional game viewing with lion, elephant, leopard, giraffe, buffalo and the entire cast of Delta plains game making frequent appearances
- A long list of activities, including alfresco spa treatments, game drives, walking safaris, stargazing, bird-watching, and more
Perfect for: Romantic holidays
10. Shinde Camp
Accommodation Type: Eight large safari-style tents
Shinde Camp was one of the first camps in the Okavango Delta and was later rebuilt in 2020. With a unique "treehouse-style" construction, guests are guaranteed an authentic safari experience and picturesque views of the waterways. The interior combines ultimate luxury and historic charm, creating an elegant, warm "Out of Africa" ambience.
Each of the spacious suites is equipped with everything you need, from indoor and outdoor showers to yoga mats. Families with children seven years and older can enjoy a custom two-bedroom family tent which accommodates up to five people.
Located in a private concession and on the permanent Shinde Lagoon, guests can enjoy an exciting mix of year-round land- and water-based activities to discover the Delta's diverse ecosystem. Opt for morning, afternoon, and evening game drives, glide on the waterways of the Delta in a mokoro, go on a guided walk adventure, or even fish between March and December!
What Makes Shinde Camp Special?
- The camp accommodates a maximum of 16 guests
- Experience the incredible bird, plant, and reptile species calling the Okavango Delta home
- Because this camp is located on a private concession, guests can enjoy guided walks, Mokoro excursions and night drives, as well as game drives and motorboat trips year-round
- The Botswana Tourism Board has awarded Shinde Camp a five-star status
Perfect for: Families and safari enthusiasts looking for diverse experiences
11. Gomoti Plains Camp
Accommodation Type: Eight luxury tents and two family tents
Nestled beneath mature acacia trees on the Gomoti River in the Okavango Delta, Gomoti Plains Camp offers a tranquil and romantic safari experience. Each of the spacious tents is tastefully furnished with wooden decks to drink in the picturesque views of the floodplains. Guests enjoy pre-dinner drinks around the campfire and dine under the stars.
The exclusive area is known for its rich wildlife and bird species concentration. Gomoti Plains is a well-kept secret cherished by guides, locals, and travellers. You can look forward to exploring the riverways on a motorboat or mokoro (traditional dugout canoe) or experience nature on a walking safari. There is a good chance to spot larger predators, elephants, and buffalos.
What Makes Gomoti Plains Camp Special?
- An all-inclusive gourmet dining experience
- Get up close and personal with the environment on walking safaris led by expert guides
- Located in the centre of the Okavango Delta, Gomoti Plains Camp is teeming with wildlife
- Relish in cuisine that is the perfect combination and balance between local flavours and good old-fashioned home-style cooking
Perfect for: Families and couples looking for a romantic getaway
12. Khwai Leadwood
Accommodation Type: Five luxury tents, one Honeymoon Suite, and one Family Tent
Found within the Okavango Delta's community-run Khwai Concession on the edge of the Khwai River, separating it from the Moremi Game Reserve, you find yourself in a wildlife paradise. With only this natural "border", wildlife easily moves through to treat you to sightings, particularly elephants, hippos, and even lions sometimes.
If you tear yourself away from the action at the camp, you can go on game drives, mokoro (depending on water levels), walking safaris, night drives to meet nocturnal species, helicopter rides, cultural tours, and more. Whatever you do and wherever you find yourself, one thing is certain: you'll see plenty of wildlife along the way!
What Makes Khwai Leadwood Special?
- This location is known for its remarkably high density of wildlife
- There's plenty to do, such as game drives, walking safaris, helicopter experiences, night drives, mokoro safaris, cultural tours, birdwatching and more
- There is a Ngwana Club to keep kids busy and entertained
- The Honeymoon Suite with bath on the deck is perfect for lovebirds, whereas the two-bedroom Family Tent and no age restrictions make it great for family bonding in the bush
Perfect for: Families, romantic getaways, and group travel
Ready to Book Your Okavango Delta Safari Lodges?
Are you feeling inspired to visit the Okavango Delta for an exclusive, luxury African safari? Contact us today, and your dedicated Travel Expert will recommend the top Okavango Delta safari lodges and design the perfect Botswana safari itinerary for you.
Let's start planning!
Featured Image Credit: Xigera Safari Lodge
Plan your African Safari todayLet's explore Africa
Opens our enquiry form
Based on 3000+ reviews