Vast, open plains as far as the eye can see, skies glittering with seemingly endless stars, lodges so private that your nearest neighbours are a herd of elephants strolling through the bush – one could argue that Africa was made for honeymoons. We break down 5 of the best honeymoon safaris you can experience on the continent where it all began.
Why a safari honeymoon?
Why spend your first few days as a married couple in the African bush? Well, I actually got married in December last year so I spent a considerable amount of time looking at safari honeymoon options in Africa – and there are many! I was also reminded of why honeymoon safaris are such a popular option. Here is a look at some of the most attractive reasons to come to Africa on your honeymoon:
- Privacy and Exclusivity: Safari lodges in Africa are quite exclusive by nature, with many accommodating as few as 6 guests at a time. Safari lodges are perfect for honeymooners as they offer exclusivity and the ultimate privacy, with rooms often being placed far enough for complete privacy but close enough for you to enjoy the lodge amenities and interact with other guests in common areas should you so choose.
- Ultimate Luxury: The lodges that we recommend place a particular focus on luxury experiences, from decor and room details to service and cuisine, every detail is given the utmost attention, making sure your honeymoon is nothing short of perfect.
- Adventure AND Romance: Safaris are quite thrilling and experiencing this with your partner makes for even better honeymoon memories. When you’re not watching a leopard feast on its kill or chasing after a pack of wild dogs, you can enjoy couples massages, laps in your private pool or cocktails on your private deck – safari honeymoons are the perfect combination of adventure and romance.
- Unique Experiences: While game drives will no doubt be the highlight of your days, safari lodges also offer many other unique experiences that will make your honeymoon all the more memorable, such as nearby village tours, stargazing, photography studios, bush walks, unique and romantic dining experiences and more.
- Easily paired: Safaris in Africa are easily paired with other amazing honeymoon experiences should you wish you extend your trip. Island holidays, food and wine holidays, self-drives and adventure tours are all available and easily paired with a safari honeymoon in Africa.
The best honeymoon safaris
From Southern to Eastern Africa to the Indian Ocean Islands, the possibilities for a safari honeymoon in Africa are overwhelming. To help you, we’ve listed 5 of the best honeymoon safari lodges on the continent.
1. Silvan Safari, Sabi Sand Game Reserve, South Africa
Located in the ultra-private Sabi Sand Game Reserve, which sits within South Africa’s Greater Kruger National Park, Silvan Safari has redefined the luxury safari experience.
The state of the art safari lodge embodies the phrase “luxury is in the detail”, with every element of the lodge, from decor to cuisine to service, being given the utmost care. With only six standalone suites, each uniquely themed and housing a private deck and plunge pool, Silvan Safari is the honeymoon safari destination to visit in Africa.
When you’re not spotting the Big 5 on twice-daily game drives, or watching a herd of elephants lazily stroll through the camp, enjoy the Ansellia Orchid Spa, the state-of-the-art media room and your gourmet meals curated by the onsite chef, which can be enjoyed outdoors on the main or private deck, or in the dining room.
2. Dulini River Lodge, Sabi Sand Game Reserve, South Africa
Another luxury lodge located in the greater Kruger National Park, Dulini River Lodge is a five-star safari lodge located in a 10,000ha concession in the Sabi Sand Game Reserve. The lodge’s main drawcards are its intimacy, housing only six suites, and its prime location overlooking the Sand River.
Dulini is also famous for its classic safari experiences, proximity to wildlife, incredible attention to detail and fine dining – all the things you would want from a safari honeymoon. Accommodation consists of six tranquil suites, each with its own outdoor shower, private plunge pool and deck to enjoy on lazy afternoons with your significant other.
Onsite amenities include a viewing deck where you can relax and share magical wildlife sightings, a boma, wine cellar, gym and safari shop.
3. Little Ongava, Ongava Private Game Reserve, Namibia
Set within the Ongava Private Game Reserve in Namibia, Little Ongava offers spectacular views of the vast African savannah plains.
The lodge consists of only three Luxury Villas, sleeping a maximum of six guests, offering unrivalled privacy and seclusion, perfect for a honeymoon. Each of the Luxury Villas features a private plunge pool and an en-suite bathroom with both indoor and outdoor showers overlooking the waterhole.
Day and night game drives through Ongava and Etosha reveal gemsbok and kudu, leopards and herds of elephants ambling through the woodlands. For an adventurous experience with your partner, track black and white rhino on foot and experience the thrill of up-close encounters, making for an exciting honeymoon story to share with friends and family!
4. Angama Mara, Kenya
Kenya’s popular Angama Mara is a luxury safari lodge located high above the floor of the Great Rift Valley, overlooking the Maasai Mara Reserve. The Maasai Mara is famous for its variety of game and large numbers found there, but even more so for the greatest wildlife show of all – the annual Great Migration of wildebeest and zebra. This unique and thrilling safari lodge is the perfect place for an unforgettable honeymoon adventure.
Angama Mara is made up of two intimate camps each consisting of 15 Tented Suites. Each suite has glass frontage overlooking the plains, spacious viewing decks and in-room dining and lounging facilities.
Angama Mara also offers activities galore. The Mara Triangle is less than half an hour from the lodge and activities on offer include romantic hot air ballooning, walking safaris, game drives and village visits. Safaris here are also completely tailor-made and flexible.
5. Mnemba Island Lodge, Zanzibar, Tanzania
While we have mainly focused on land safaris, we must not forget the exciting and unique experience of a marine safari. Mnemba Island Lodge in Zanzibar is a postcard-perfect private island in the Tanzanian archipelago of Zanzibar offering just that.
Accommodating only 20 guests, turquoise waters, white sand, and palm trees as far as the eye can see are on offer at Mnemba, making the perfect island honeymoon destination. Each thatched suite comes with a private verandah, en-suite bathroom and complimentary internet.
The island’s waters are rich in coral reefs that can easily be reached by boat – making this island one of the best diving destinations in the world. Zanzibar’s waters are filled with interesting creatures such as the blue potato grouper, the indigo Napoleon fish, the deep red cubera snapper and the green blocked turtle to name a few. Spend your days snorkelling, swimming, fly-fishing, or sunbathing. Baskets of fresh fruit, fish, lobster, crab and prawn are sailed into Mnemba on traditional ngalawa outriggers every day. Private romantic beach dinners for you and your significant other can also be arranged on request.
Plan your dream safari honeymoon
So what are you waiting for? Wherever you picture your dream honeymoon, our expert travel consultants can help you make sure your dream becomes a reality. Contact us today for a no-obligation quote and let our Africa experts tailor-make your dream honeymoon.