Everyone should travel to Tanzania at least once in their life! The country simply has it all. Jaw-droppingly scenic national parks teeming with wildlife, Africa’s highest mountain and Africa’s largest lake. And this is over and above the fact that it hosts the Great Wildebeest Migration – one of the greatest wildlife shows on Earth. Last but not least, you can end your dream safari on the sandy beaches of Zanzibar – a tropical island steeped in history, spices and sunshine. There’s a lot to see and do in Tanzania and a mind-boggling choice of safari lodges. Our round-up of Tanzania’s luxury safari lodges includes something for everyone. Let’s get started!
1. Singita Faru Faru
Singita safari lodges are synonymous with avant-garde design, effortless service and a sensational safari experience. Of these, Faru Faru Lodge is one of the best among Tanzania’s luxury safari lodges.
Occupying a large private chunk of the Serengeti National Park, your safari experience is guaranteed to be exclusive and that alone, in the safari capital of the world, is worth gold. The lodge is as slick and polished as the bold design foretells. Yet, the sublime luxury is only part of the story, as your safari experience here is unparalleled. And even outside of migration season, the plains are alive with predators and big game, including lion, leopard, cheetah, hyena, elephant, rhino and buffalo.
- 350,000-acre private reserve inside the Serengeti National Park for an exclusive year-round safari experience
- Trademark Singita hospitality with effortless service and sophisticated luxury
- Children of all ages are welcome and catered for
- Incredible game viewing safari experiences, including bush walks, a mini rangers club and anti-poaching patrols
Who’s it for?
In a private concession inside the Serengeti National Park, Faru Faru Lodge is the ultimate luxury safari in Tanzania. With special attention given to children of all ages, it is perfect for a luxury family safari experience. And, of course, the setting, service and privacy are made for honeymoons and romance. Faru Faru is also great for solo travellers and couples wanting the ultimate wellness retreat and a Great Migration bucket list adventure.
2. Singita Mara River Tented Camp
Retaining Singita's trademark elegance and poise, Mara River Tented Camp wows with modern simplicity. Small, intimate and very close to nature, those ultra-luxury credentials are miraculously maintained while upping the adventure stakes considerably.
In a 98,000-acre concession along the Mara River of Great Migration fame, this is one of the more remote of Tanzania's luxury safari lodges. Classic tented suites face the river and plains from a private deck, whereas the main living area, equally understated and elegant, reflects the beauty and the incredible wilderness surrounding you.
- Elegant luxury in the pristine wilderness of northwestern Serengeti National Park
- Very remote and exclusive as it's the only permanent camp in the Lamai Triangle
- Tented eco camp for a more intimate exchange between yourself and nature
- The Mara River is one of the best places to experience Great Migration river crossings
Who's it for?
This camp is ideally placed for the annual Mara River crossing of the Great Migration. Although, the game viewing year-round is also sensational. As a result, it is ideal for discerning safari, birding and nature enthusiasts. The remote and luxurious eco camp is also great for couples, solo travellers and families with older children.
3. Chem Chem Lodge
Among Tanzania's luxury safari lodges, Chem Chem stands tall for its proactive community and conservation programmes. In a vast private concession between Tarangire and Lake Manyara National Park in northern Tanzania, your safari makes a significant impact. Not just for the protection of wildlife but for the rehabilitation of the ecosystem as well as improving the lives of local villagers, who call this ancient piece of land home.
Chem Chem Lodge is a charming rustic-themed safari lodge with an exciting choice of activities, including safaris in Tarangire and Lake Manyara, Maasai-guided walks, village visits and inspiring behind-the-scenes excursions.
- Chem Chem is a rehabilitated ancient migratory corridor linking the Tarangire and Lake Manyara National Parks
- Fascinating conservation strategies, education programmes and cultural interaction activities
- Incredible game viewing, such as elephant, lion, giraffe, zebra and many more species on the plains and flamingo and many birds at the lake
- On the Great Migration path and with a variety of habitats, including lakes, grasslands and salt pans
Who's it for?
Chem Chem is an incredible luxury safari lodge in its own right. Add the powerful philanthropic credentials, and you've got a safari lodge for all seasons. With educational and cultural interaction opportunities, this is an excellent lodge for families and couples interested in both the wildlife and the people of Tanzania.
4. Kuria Hills Lodge
Kuria Hills Lodge is in the far northwest of the Serengeti, near the Mara River on the Great Migration path. Tanzania's luxury safari lodges vary from classic tented camps to luxury palaces. And Kuria Hills Lodge combines both styles, with its tented suites having floor-to-ceiling glass frontages and private plunge pools.
Furthermore, the living area is at once cosy and plush, and the service, food and amenities (for a fully solar-powered safari lodge) wouldn't be out of place in a five-star city hotel. More importantly, year-round game viewing is phenomenal, and the migration path is relatively reliable between July and October.
- Delightful position atop a hill among enormous boulders with sweeping views of the savannah
- Quiet and remote location in northwestern Serengeti
- On the Great Migration path where the herd crosses the Mara River into Kenya
- Sophisticated luxury and enormous glass-fronted tent suites with private plunge pools
Who's it for?
Those massive suites, tucked away behind trees and boulders, offer the ultimate in privacy and seclusion. Therefore, it makes Kuria Hills perfect for honeymoons and romantic celebrations. Furthermore, it's also a great option for families thanks to its dedicated children's activities and family suites.
5. Ngorongoro Crater Lodge
Ngorongoro Crater Lodge is one of the more striking and eclectic of Tanzania's luxury safari lodges. Everything here is extraordinary, from the Maasai-inspired architecture to the dramatic Baroque-inspired décor, from the achingly beautiful views to the heartwarming hospitality.
The Ngorongoro Crater is a World Heritage Site and a singular safari destination. And Ngorongoro Crater Lodge is an appropriately singular safari lodge. Soaring above the crater floor, it feels like you've got front-row seats to some great cosmic event. Take a game drive into the crater, and you'll feel like you're witnessing the dawn of time. It's a special place.
- Sensational setting atop the crater rim with views from everywhere
- Regal luxury with a personal butler, fine dining and exceptional service
- Unique Ngorongoro experience with a full range of wildlife and cultural activities
- Dedicated Wild Child Programme for kids of all ages
Who's it for?
Ngorongoro Crater Lodge offers the ultimate luxury safari in Tanzania. Ideal for families, honeymooners, wellness and luxury and holidays, the lodge is an experience in itself.
6. Sanctuary Kichakani Serengeti Camp
Experience the Great Wildebeest Migration from your very own luxury tent. Sanctuary Kichakani is a mobile camp that follows the migration path through the Serengeti. The modern décor captures the explorer period of the 19th century in a contemporary way.
Surrounded by the untouched nature of East Africa, you have a front row seat to the Wildebeest Migration and other spectacular wildlife sightings. Enjoy memorable game drives and romantic sunsets with your partner or travel buddy.
- Close-up view of the Great Migration
- Amazing, year-round wildlife sightings
- Private camp chef cooks you world-class cuisine in the savannah
- Your private mobile tent comes with a personal tent attendant
Who's it for?
Sanctuary Kichakani Serengeti Camp is ideal for couples and adventure seekers who want to experience a modern luxury holiday with the charm of centuries-ago safari living.
7. Legendary Lodge
Legendary Lodge is a charming, elegant colonial-style boutique lodge in a working coffee estate. It's just outside Arusha, making this an ideal start or end to your northern circuit safari. Tanzania's luxury safari lodges have earned their reputation through stunning locations and luxurious amenities. But above all, it's the warm, friendly hospitality that makes the luxury of this country lodge memorable.
Enormous "cottages" have wrap-around verandahs surrounded by lush tropical gardens framed by Mount Meru, Tanzania's second-highest mountain. The amenities and facilities are comprehensively five-star, the dining is legendary (like the name suggests), and the service is attentive and heartfelt.
- Refined and elegant colonial-style country lodge on a working coffee estate
- Close to Arusha for a gentle start and end to your northern circuit safari
- Excellent food and an impressive range of activities and amenities
- Wellness treatments and day safaris to major national parks
Who's it for?
Legendary Lodge has universal appeal as an Arusha-based layover for families, couples and solo travellers who value luxury, elegance and sophistication. The wellness spa, tennis, squash, jogging and cycling trails are just some of the options for getting the blood flowing after a long journey.
8. Dunia Camp
Next to the likes of Crater Lodge and Faru Faru, Dunia Camp might at first appear rather ordinary as Tanzania's luxury safari lodges go. Until you dig a little deeper, that is. Enjoying an elevated position among the Moru Kopjes, Dunia Camp is slap-bang in the middle of the Serengeti National Park, and it's a scenic area indeed.
While Dunia Camp is a permanent lodge, its footprint is so light it looks, feels and acts like a mobile camp. Complete with the intimacy and excitement a mobile camp embodies, yet with some essential luxuries a mobile camp cannot. Its central position and secluded location make for excellent game viewing all year round. Furthermore, guided safaris are exceptional with this all-female team, and the camp comes into its own when the Great Migration passes through.
- Classic East Africa mobile-style tented safari camp run entirely by women
- The Great Migration reliably passes through camp twice a year
- Excellent year-round big cat and big game safaris
- Ultra-light eco-camp running off solar power, borehole water and supplies from the nearby villages
Who's it for?
Dunia Camp is great for families with children over five years old, couples, groups and solo travellers wanting to experience the Great Migration as well as a classic Serengeti safari.
9. White Sand Luxury Villas & Spa
After your sensational tour of Tanzania's luxury safari lodges, it's time to reveal this magical country's final surprise: the tropical island of Zanzibar. It's the stuff of dreams, with powder-soft white sands, warm azure water, glorious sunshine as well as eating, drinking, relaxing and having fun.
White Sand Villas is a Relais & Chateaux property that pretty much does what it says on the tin: enormous private villas surrounded by lush tropical gardens with that white sand underfoot. With a choice of restaurants, bars, lounges, pools and watersport activities, you'd need several nights here to make full use of the resort. And then there's the whole of Zanzibar Island to explore.
- Sophisticated and luxurious Zanzibar island resort
- Private, exclusive beachfront metres from your private villa
- Wellness centre and watersports centre for fun and relaxation
- Relais & Chateaux standards of service, fine dining, facilities and amenities
Who's it for?
Zanzibar is as much about romance as it is about family fun and watersports adventure. White Sand Villas sets the stage for a glorious tropical island holiday of romantic escapes, family fun, group celebrations, solo adventure and wellness retreats.
10. Zuri Zanzibar Hotel and Resort
After sampling the best of Tanzania's luxury safari lodges, you'll want to end on a high note. Zuri Zanzibar Hotel is that high note. In fact, it's multiple high notes forming a farewell crescendo.
With a private beach and lagoon, luxurious beach huts and villas, fantastic food and a large range of amenities and facilities, Zuri is easily one of the best places to stay on the island.
- Fantastic food with a multicultural menu and a variety of dining venues
- Private beach and lagoon surrounded by magnificent gardens
- Restaurants, bars, swimming pools, wellness spa, yoga, gym, aquatic centre, library and education programmes
- A sustainable operation involving the local communities and providing much of its own water and electricity
Who's it for?
With its perfect beach, variety of dining and drinking options and even its own curated soundtrack, Zuri is a tropical beach experience like no other. Couples, families, groups and solo travellers will all appreciate the impeccable service, luxury suites and the hotel's impressive range of activities and facilities.
Ready to Explore Tanzania's Luxury Safari Lodges?
From the high-end safari lodges to the charming mobile-style safari camps, Tanzania's luxury safari lodges set the bar for all others to follow. Chat to one of our Travel Experts about your ideal safari today! Our tailor-made itineraries, deep local knowledge and dedicated support, have even earned us the coveted World's Leading Safari Company. See you in Tanzania!
Featured Image: Singita
Plan your African Safari todayLet's explore Africa
Opens our enquiry form
Based on 3000+ reviews